The New York State Department of Health, Division of Nursing Home and ICF/IID Surveillance is responsible for investigating complaints about resident abuse, neglect, mistreatment and incidents occurring in nursing homes in New York State that are related to a State and/or Federal regulatory violation.
Anyone can file a complaint against a Nursing Home. All complaints are confidential and can be made anonymously. Due to HIPPA regulations, the department is restricted from releasing patient protected information regarding a complaint case. It is advisable to have one designated representative when filing a complaint on behalf of the family or a group of individuals since only the person who files the complaint will receive correspondences from the Nursing Home Complaint Program.
You may submit this form multiple ways:
- Call the Nursing Home Complaint Hotline at 1-888-201-4563
- Fill out the online Nursing Home Complaint Form located below.
- Print out the Nursing Home Complaint Form [ PDF ]
- Mail to:
EMPIRE STATE PLAZA
ALBANY, NEW YORK 12237
- Fax the Complaint form: 518-408-1157
- Scan the form and E-mail to: email@example.com
Complaints will be accepted if the occurrence is within the past year of the submission of your complaint to the NYS Department of Health.
In order to process your complaint in a timely manner, please:
- Type or Print clearly
- Complete form in its entirety, including your contact information
- Include any names and phone numbers with whom you have already filed a complaint with.
- Attach copies of paper materials that support your concern (No originals please)
All complaints received about nursing homes are reviewed by the Department through the Centralized Complaint Intake Unit and appropriate action is taken. If you choose to provide your contact information, the Centralized Complaint Intake Unit will send you a letter which will acknowledge receipt of your complaint and provide information regarding how your complaint will be handled.
Should you have questions, please contact the Centralized Complaint Intake Program at 1-888-201-4563, Monday through Friday 8:30am - 4:45pm, excluding holidays.
*** This form is for Nursing Home complaints only. Complaints about Adult homes and Assisted Living facilities can be reported to the intake program at: 1 866 893 6772 ***